Friday, February 3, 2023

Waiting for Isabel


Waiting for Izzy to wake,

my baby grand,

my Izzy Bizzy Bell.


I should head to Chicago,

move on to next things.

There’s stuff to do,

and I, my reputation

as dithering guy who never,

never gets to the end,

notwithstanding,

am still the only guy to get it done.

 

But I’m waiting for Isabel to wake—

me, Isabel’s Jeff,

here,

waiting for Isabel,

who, just before she slept,

spent a long, full, bunch

of uncountable minutes

in loud, overwrought,

and well-acted screaming;

in epic distress,

mommy-mommying her way

between long, sobbing, hiccups,

until she decided that mommy-mommying

wasn’t working,

and switched to daddy-daddying,

which also did not work,

falling finally asleep, exhausted,

when Mommy did show herself.

 

That’s the person,

Isabell Lozen,

my grand baby,

for whose next waking moment

I wait.

 

Because love,

I guess.

And knowing that

what I might otherwise

do is no longer the point. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I stumbled across your blog and have been scrolling through. It's well done, and I am looking forward to seeing more posts. Your name was familar to me from your time on city council (I covered the council for the Daily in the 80s and at other times volunteered here and there in local politics). Pete Mooney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pete. So you were with the Michigan Daily some 40 years ago. I knew so many Daily reporters over the 20+ years I lived in Ann Arbor and I have nothing but respect for the ink-stained wretches that made the Daily one of the premier college newspapers. Given what's happened to print media this century, I can't help wondering if the paper still has the capacity to dig up and tell the stories that other papers ignored. Ah, well, time does seem to grind down both people and papers. Regardless, I much appreciate the fact that you took the time to send along an attaboy.

    ReplyDelete